Tuesday, January 27, 2009

to market, to market, to buy a fat pig!

Occasionally, I have to take my children to run errands.
I get many comments from those around me.
Here are some of them.( and what I am really hearing)

"Good for you!"

Translation: Better you than me.

"Wow, are those all yours?"

Translation: Are you some kind of freak? Who in their right mind would have
that many kids so close together?

"You sure have your hands full!"

Translation: The adult to child ratio in this scenario is illegal.

"Are those two twins?

Translation: There is no excuse for those age gaps.

"Goodness-all boys, huh?"

Translation: You look tired.

"What cute children"

Translation: That one is eating his snot, and the other has chocolate in his hair.

"Enjoy them, honey. It won't last long."

Translation: I 've done it , and miss it. So will you.

4 comments:

Rob and Lori said...

Oh my. This happens also to me, I'm sure you can imagine. Sometimes I will volunteer, "These two are twins" especially if I can tell someone is trying to figure ages. It sure would help if my twins looked even a little bit alike, but with having different dads and all...

ashley said...

so true. i admit, i have even said and thought those exact things...i am a nutso!! with my four there is enought space that I am often with only a few at time, but i only can imagine what they think when we are all together, especially since I am often by myself...poor single-mom!! when we flew to florida this xmas, i totally felt everyone starring at us like we were some kind of baby making machine couple or something. but i love that people still say, you look too young to have a 10 year old...which means they are calculating how old i must have been when we had him(hmm)

Koch Clan said...

Yes, I have heard many of these comments. Sadly, I usually only have two kids. They are just beign really naughty so I get the comments anyway. Sad.

Emily said...

One of my friends was in the store the other day with only three of her kids when a woman (who had one child with her) said to her, 'you sure have your hands full; three kids is way more than I could handle.' My friend smiled and said, 'this is nothing honey, you should see me when I have all five of my kids with me in the store!' My friend couldn't stop laughing at the expression on the poor woman's face!
Just goes to show that we are only dealt in life what we as individuals can deal with. You are doing wonderful...your boys are happy well rounded kids. :D