Tuesday, April 21, 2009

As if I didn't hear them yelling "Mom!" enough

David is traveling for work.
As I scrambled to help him find three pairs of black socks without holes and get my children fed before bed tonight, Brody hollered as I shoveled more tomatoes and avacadoes onto his high chair tray. I looked at David wistfully and said,
"You must be excited to get there."
He replied
"It's lonely. I don't really like traveling at all. The days are long and the flights are tiring."

How can this be? I simply don't get it. I wrestle these lovely, yet very energetic children all day and the very thought of flying out of town for a few days makes me giddy. I was skeptical of his kind answer.

As I looked at him questioningly, he gathered the kids and took them upstairs while I had a few moments of peace in the kitchen. Soon one of the boys came down and handed me my phone, giggling.
" You are going to get a phone call, mom"
Next thing I know, I hear all my kids in unison starting out quietly, but slowly shouting louder and louder...
"mom..., Mom..., MOM!!... mom..., Mom..., MOM!!!

This is my new phone ringtone.
Needless to say, I had to smile. These professional nuts can not only run a house, madness though it may be, but they are also quite capable of squeezing a smile out of these tired old parents.

The sound of those knuckleheads chanting my name struck me with the realization of how boring life would be without them.
I suspect my husband figured this out on one of his trips.

Despite my faint travel jealousy, I am so grateful for a husband who wants to be with his crazy kids and sufficiently spent wife.

On a side note, he made up this very fantastic song about hygene which I shall never forget. I have been singing it for about six years now, and intend to sing it for several more. It is as follows:
Brush-a brush-a brush-a! Side, side, side. Side, side, side. Up and down. Up and down.

I even have an old picture to go along with the piece!

What can I say? The song brings out the dentist's daughter in me.
(You can use this one if you want, dad)

5 comments:

The Neads said...

so cute.. I didn't know you had 3 boys.. I hope we have more boys.. we have 2 girls and 2 boys.. I guess you always want what you don't have.. We miss Moscow sooo much... did you hang out with Melanie while they lived there..??? I guess they just moved to Salt Lake City?? I have been trying write Melanie, but she is hard to get a hold of.. Anyway it will be fun keeping up on your blog seeing how you guys are doing... Your family is cute as heck..

Emily said...

After reading this email I am tempted to call your cell phone repeatedly just so that you can enjoy the mom, mom, mom chant it will bring! :D

Rob and Lori said...

Your dad is a dentist?!? Good for him! Where was I?

the wrath of khandrea said...

let's have dave watch my kids while i travel for a few days, so he can appreciate what it's like not to have them around as well.

ashley said...

i was just telling my husband the other day i am overdue for a weekend getaway!! he agreed! unfortunately, it won't happen for a few more months, darn that nursing thing! but, i can see the end of the tunnel in sight now! yeah