Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Break revisited





Spring Break is officially over, and I survived it. I have finally discovered that if I can give the kids one fun activity to look forward to every day, they don't complain and slit their wrists in misery over some other kid who got to go to Disneyland.

That said, here was the game plan.

On Monday, we hooked up with Aunt Stephanie and cousins. We had a picnic in the park, and hooked up with our husbands later that night for bowling with the crew. It was totally out of control, and I got a few too many dirty looks from the group next to us ( you would too if kids kept wandering into your turf), but all in all, the kids had fun.

On Tuesday I hired a sitter and took the rest of the boys ( + one of Isaac's friends) to see a movie. Then we decided to take advantage of dollar scoop night at Baskin Robbins afterwards. Man, I miss working there and eating the stuff without shame.

On Wednesday, I was spent, so I finally let the kids play with the easy bake oven, as promised. It takes forever to cook one tiny cake, and they all wanted one, so we spent the day doing that. They were tired too, so I didn't get any complaints as expected.

On Thursday, we packed up a lunch and headed to our favorite playground in Pullman ( 15 minutes away). They have this really old park with one of those dangerous merry go rounds and a super high slide. It was pretty fun. Then we fed our uneaten sandwiches to the ducks. ( Is it wrong to feed a duck turkey? ) After the kids were sufficiently dizzy, we headed over to Ferdinand's ice cream for more dollar scoop deals. Delish!

On Friday we went to McCall for the boys' hockey tournament on Saturday. The tournament went well. The boys played their little hearts out. Even David got to play. The people in charge had a bouncy castle and face painting too. Corbin insisted he needed to have his face painted. In fact, during his game, he skated to the edge and hollered at me that he wanted to get his face painted. We assured him he could after he finished his game. He is so funny.

We spent the night at our friend's cottage there and gawked at the amount of snow still around. Not only did the boys get to play tons of hockey, but we checked out the fabulous chocolate store -David and I downed a bit too many chocolate covered oreos while three of the boys chose chocolate covered marshmallows on a stick and Isaac, of course, chose a five dollar peanut butter cup the size of a fist. We were in heaven. Then we snuck into the holiday inn pool with our hockey friends. I love that city. So does my family.

We got home Sunday and tripped over all our half unpacked luggage strewn across the floor for the rest of the day and got sick off lemon squares and goldfish. It was not pretty.

All in all, a great week. I'm so glad I have them.

No comments: