Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Thanks to Aunt JoAnn and Uncle Nels, we had a very memorable time last weekend.
These two dears have had the best seats in the house at the
Adams county rodeo
ever since I have known them.
They were kind enough to invite us!
Being very pumped about the whole thing, I explained to my friend that I was headed to said event, and she shared the worst story about a horse breaking its neck and flailing around uncontrollably during a rodeo she attended. Apparently, it is hard for young adolescent girls to deal with the death and subsequent shooting of this particular horse, and have never returned. Being the terrible gossip I am, I shared the story with the whole family on the way there.
Sadly,
my poor kids,
Jackson in particular,
was shaking like a leaf the minute we parked in the lot.
Slowly, he came around.
(I need a better filter about what to share and what to keep for the grown ups, I think)




Isaac asked me how much I would pay him to lick that nasty brown wall. I, in return asked how much he would be willing to pay for the hospital bills that would follow.
Nuff said.



Anyway,they sit just above the shoots where the bull/bronco riders get nestled onto their precious animals and attempt to last their alloted time atop the bucking things. We had so much fun.
The very famous "One armed Bandit" made a special appearance there too. He really does only have one arm, as indicated. I made some pathetic joke about the drummer from Def Leppard joining the carnival, but nobody laughed. It was hurtful. He may not have had two arms, but the man could sure get his two well trained buffalo to do some pretty fancy tricks-like hangin' out on the top of a moving horse trailer. Then the bandit proceeded to take his mule atop, along with the buffalo, and spun the poor thing around in dizzying circles while he snapped his fancy whip in the air. It was a sight to behold. I was entranced. The bandit certainly lives up to his name, because he stole my heart with his mullet, noisy string, and politically incorrect sidekick, the painted "injun".
He he is standing on top of his mule.
(if you squint, you can see the buffalo-that's plural, right-cause there's two?)

Moving on...the wind punished us for our forgetting that fall is upon us,
(Poor Grandma was taken by surprise here, but it does exhibit the feelings of coldness we were all experiencing...)

besides that, the time spent was full of great memories. We loved every second of it, truly. To top it off, there were no deaths to speak of! Hooray for rodeo survivors!We spent the night at Nels' and JoAnn's house, all of the boys tucked into some couch, and slept like babies. I whipped up some fabulous crepes, I must say, we had our fill, and we were on our way to Isaac's first two soccer games ( I was a terrible house guest because I trashed her kitchen and left it for her to clean-big time no no-I'm so sorry).

I am proud to inform you his team won both. This is a first.
Last season they didn't win a single one.
Not important, of course, but enjoyable still.

Corbin attended a birthday party and gave his lovely homemade lego candy dispenser with homemade wrapping paper
( along with a little something extra, just in case the birthday boy already had a homemade lego candy dispenser).
He had a great time.

After the last game of the day, we headed off to the Latah County Fair.
Whew
.
By then we were tired and somewhat grumpy.

After doing some intricate mathematics,
I informed the boys that we spent a good deal of money on taking them to Silverwood, and would only part with enough money for them all to go on one ride at the fair.
Isaac, my future teenager, decided he would boycott the whole thing and refused to go at all.
No matter.
David and I packed up the rest of the boys and had a great time.
The carnies had their inappropriate music blaring, all the girls wore their super tightiest-tight pants and low cut T's, and the boys were all loud and obnoxious.
Remind me to avoid the fair at all costs.
David took Isaac's ride money and hopped on the tilt a whirl with Corbin and Jackson. The ride operator must have been feeling generous, because he let the thing run a ridiculously long time. David pulled some priceless faces and Brody and I looked on. Just thinking about it cracks me up.
I love that man.
Not the ride operator, of course.
Well, maybe a tad.

We can home, exhausted from the fullest weekend we've had in a long time
and didn't bat an eye till the sun came up.

No comments: