Thursday, November 4, 2010

Why yes, vanilla, I do!

My baby sister is getting married!




She didn't have anyone she was serious about, and decided to take that freedom and serve a mission in Chile. I have no doubt she was an awesome missionary. She came home, made some decisions about schooling and life in general, and my other little sister hooked her up on a blind date. Said blind date decided he was interested in learning more about the family's religion, got baptized, fell for my sister, and the rest is history. I am so happy for her! She deserves all the happiness in the world. Besides, as you can see, she is also a magnificent aunt.

Just thinking about her story takes me back to my own silly memories about how my husband and I met. ..

He was 22, I was 18. We were in the same ward at church. He was always cracking jokes and goofing off. He made me laugh. I worked at Baskin Robbins, and he was unemployed. He was majoring in Math, I was majoring in English.

As a kid, my mom always told me a story of how she met my father. All the girls in her dorm would take the others out for ice cream if they had a good date. Vanilla for her friends if she had a mediocre time, strawberry for fun, chocolate for the crew if the date was great. My mom claims she bought her ladies rocky road after her first date with my father. They have now been married for almost 37 years ( Mom, correct me, if it's more). Ice cream is a big deal. I am a certified addict. It's in my genes.

Anyway, one day, David decided to visit me at the ice cream shop, and ordered, of all things, vanilla. I teased him about his adventurous nature and he smiled and asked for rainbow sprinkles-just to "spice it up" a bit. I was smitten. I blame my mother. He reminded me of her love story and I couldn't help but laugh. To this day, my freezer almost always has a quart of vanilla for him, along side my rocky road ( or whatever chocolate mixture I can hide from my kids long enough to get some). I douse the stuff with jam, nuts, skittles, whipped cream, chocolate syrup-whatever other sugar I can squeeze in. David likes his plain, maybe with a brownie underneath. How a simple vanilla lover has me so wrapped around his finger, I will never know-but, It's still ice cream, after all.

Anyway, congratulations to my sister, Emily, for finding love. I will be expecting a visit to marble slab upon returning home for the wedding, my dear sister-for some serious ice cream ratings- and a deep discussion on the finer points of topping choices.
I will count the hours until then...

4 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

this is funny on so many levels. so funny, in fact, that i won't even try to make a funny remark because this is golden as is.

Leah said...

I'm coming. I don't care if this doesn't involve me. I want ice cream.

Cami said...

That's a cute story! Ice cream is pretty much the coolest thing since sliced white bread! ;) Congrats to your sista!

Rob and Lori said...

Congrats to Emily!! She is still six years old to me. I love your parents. Suddenly I have so many concerns about ice cream and the underlying meaning. I'm now evaluating my relationship. hmmm.