Monday, October 25, 2010

Stop, drop and roll.

Saturday was busy.
There was a parade.
There was hockey playing.
There was a dinner invite.
We had friends over.
I think Macy's had a sale.
There was a fire.

That's right.
A fire.
I decided it would be nice to have a clean oven, so I set the thing to self clean.
I left the house to run some errands while David kept an eye on the kids at home. An hour into my errands, David called me,
as livid as I have heard him in a long time,
and explained that there had been a fire.
I quickly drove home to find
my stove on the front porch, open, with the entire inside of the oven charred,
all the doors and windows in the house opened and fans blowing this way and that upon entering.
What the?!
Apparently a girl should take the vat of oil she stores in the oven out before she presses the "self clean" button.
Huh.
It'll be a long time 'till this happens again.
The smell of burnt oil will last long enough to serve as a reminder long into my eighties.
Happy day.
Cough.

( I must say, the neighbors ran to David's aid as soon as the alarms went off. They took all the kids, they helped move the oven, they loaned their fans, even shoes for our barefoot boys. We live in the best neighborhood.)

4 comments:

Koch Clan said...

That is so funny! Not really, but kind of! And I love all the hockey pictures. It is great to see pics of moscow too!

Leah said...

The Rice-A-Roni incident seems so blah now.

Emily said...

Thank God David was home...or your might not have a home anymore!

the wrath of khandrea said...

WHAT? NO PICTURES! i don't believe it. i mean, i don't believe the story. i need pictures to validate. and please make sure one of them includes the livid dave.

thanks.