Tuesday, October 19, 2010

How to be perfect



Brody had his two year check up today.
He's overweight. My first overweight child.
He speaks three words.
He is deforming his teeth with that dang pointer in there.
He has eczema behind his knees and athlete's foot between his toes.
When the hysterical little girl in the room next door wailed like she was dying,
Brody pretended to scream back with the hugest smile his face could afford.
He trotted along to the scale
and let the nurse prick his finger for a lead test without so much as a wince.
As she proceeded to squeeze the blood into a straw, Brody pointed with the other finger
in wonder.
Just for my own entertainment, I asked " Did you like that finger stick?"
He replied with a sweet, slightly shy "yeah". ( one of his three words)
As we waited a moment longer in the tiny room,
he pointed to a picture of a baby, patted his belly, and declared "Me!"
I smiled and agreed.
My sweet giant toddler baby.
Next, he had to endure the two shots at the end of the "to do" list.
Corbin smothered him with kisses in anticipation of tears.
Brody shoved him away and hollered in his ear.
Corbin and I laughed.
Then the shots...hardly a tear.
That giant toddler baby amazes me every day.


Here he is working on his new, very strict diet.

3 comments:

Leah said...

I can't decide who the most amusing Prestwich is. Please force them to duel it out to ease my burden. All this wavering is hard on the nerves.

Koch Clan said...

First, congrats on the half! That is excellent time and way to go! Second, I had an "overweight" toddler too. ONly it was my oldest. I love that Brody was so chill with the shots. What a cute boy. Cute boys Kristine!

the wrath of khandrea said...

what's not to love about that kid! also, why would this post be humiliating if he were 13??