Friday, August 6, 2010

I realize we don't have any REAL problems


I am not so sure about my abilities as a mother anymore. Lately, I wake up, begging and pleading with no one in particular to please let Brody sleep in. It's not that I don't want to see his adorable face, or even that I don't want to work. I don't mind a little work. What I don't want, and what seems to come to pass, is his CONTINUAL screaming, fit throwing, and mess making. I am exhausted. ( and not to toot my own horn, but it takes a lot to wear me out-so that's saying something) He screams in the car. He cries about not being allowed to eat his cereal on the couch ( with milk!), he hollers about not getting to eat candy all day or play in the street. I am so tired of the constant screaming that I have visions of duct tape over his mouth. It makes me crack a little smile just to see it written here. I have said it once, and I will say it again, it is a good thing this kid is cute, because that's the only thing keeping him from some serious tape rash. ( that and my mom taught me better)

Screaming can be tuned out, you say? Well, what about the dumping of nearly everything. He has figured out how to scoot the bar stools over to the counter and climb into cupboards full of food. I removed the stools from the house to the garage. He scoots them over to the deep freeze and fishes out an otter pop, and knaws the top off. He has figured out how to open the fridge. He dumps buckets of pineapple and takes a bite out of an apple and puts it back. ( I know, at least he puts it away, right?) Then he proceeds to dump cottage cheese and mix in some yeast for fun.

You may be asking yourself, how does a child do this with an adult around? Well, I think I have finally figured it out. He screams until he drives others away from him. I am almost willing to clean up the cottage cheese/pineapple/yeast and otter pop mess if it means I can have a moment of silence in another room. Smart kid. As for his mother...well, like I said, not so sure about my parenting skills of late.
The worst part? I am so emotionally wrecked after hearing the fits and screaming and battling this tiny terror every waking hour ( minus the heavenly gym time), that when he's finally asleep for his nap, I am so spent that I can't even fathom cleaning up all his disasters. So, the house is bleeding. My ears are bleeding, while my desperation for solitude and a content child grows every day. Even the kids beg me to put him back to bed an hour after he wakes. I haven't resorted to swaring...maybe I will take it up. Toddlers totally respond to that sort of stuff.


5 comments:

ashley said...

oh my gosh this is my life!! i feel your pain! my little guy is almost 2 and boy do I wish he could just go from 2 -6 over night!! hang in there!

the wrath of khandrea said...

you know you need to get one of those latches or locks for your fridge. i lived with them for several years. they are highly effective. as for the screaming, um, yeah. good luck with that.

the wrath of khandrea said...

ps for real, check out love and logic. it even works on toddlers.

Leah said...

Fridge locks. For real. So great. I think I've said it before: Brody is my idol. He's the boss of the universe AND he rules with style.

While I may not have a Brody, I totally get the whole feeling inadequate thing, but I also figure that if God intended for us to have perfect parents, he'd have raised us all Himself. I can only do what I can do, and if it isn't perfect (and it's NOT), well, I gave it a go! Hang in there. And maybe get some earplugs. ;)

Darren and Stephanie said...

My question is this reminiscent of yours or Dave's childhood?