There's a girl who attends our church who has the mental capacity of an 18 month old. Her parents are saints and sit quietly with her and help her to be reverent although,
some days,
it seems a huge burden to bear as we sit behind them on occasion. She is 19, I think.
She HATES the organ with a passion-and often times stands up and stamps her feet
at the sound of it as her parents sweetly usher her out of the chapel until she calms down.
Last Sunday, my six year old asked me what was wrong with her. I explained that she was born with some problems with her brain.
He chuckled and suggested that Brody, our two year old, was smarter than her.
I quickly bent over and whispered in his ear that people with problems like hers are exceptionally special to our Heavenly Father-and that we should always remember that they must be treated with love.
He smiled at me and, for some reason, I was struck with such a heart full of love for this child
and joy at being his mom and having the opportunity to teach him simple,
righteous ways to live.
Some days, the monotony of having to explain, and teach and show love and listen to endless stories upon stories seems a lot to bear, but at the end of the day, I am so glad for these kids and their presence in my life. They really require so little in comparison to that lovely couple that sits in the pew in front of us. How lucky I am to be able to teach my boys-and have them respond with understanding.
How blessed I am to have been raised by parents who did the same for me.
1 comment:
Good mom award. :)
Post a Comment