Here's the deal. Almost a year ago, my parents and my husband bought me a (by request) gym pass for Christmas. I have gone to said gym about five days a week, sometimes more, ever since. At first, I just enjoyed the hour of "me time". Then, I started to see a little difference in my clothes. I decided it wouldn't hurt me to try not to eat an entire pan of cinnamon rolls on occasion. I saw a little more difference.
Before I started all this, I had a number of weight related issues.
1) I was uncomfortable. My clothes felt too tight.
2) I hated shopping for new clothes, because nothing looked right.
3) I was depressed. I felt ashamed that I had let myself go.
4) My energy was non-existent. At the end of the day, I could barely carry my children up the stairs.
5) I felt trapped in my house. I would get anxiety before social events because I felt like I didn't look my best.
6) As cheesy at is sounds, I felt like I was doing myself a disservice by ignoring my health and drowning those concerns with more food.
7) I rationalized that I needed to give all my time and energy to others, because I was selfish if I devoted some time to my health. I felt guilty about taking time.
8) I was horrified when I ran into people from my past because I had changed so much.
9) I knew I should be considering the example I was setting for my children. (baked goods do not equal love at home)
1) I was uncomfortable. My clothes felt too tight.
2) I hated shopping for new clothes, because nothing looked right.
3) I was depressed. I felt ashamed that I had let myself go.
4) My energy was non-existent. At the end of the day, I could barely carry my children up the stairs.
5) I felt trapped in my house. I would get anxiety before social events because I felt like I didn't look my best.
6) As cheesy at is sounds, I felt like I was doing myself a disservice by ignoring my health and drowning those concerns with more food.
7) I rationalized that I needed to give all my time and energy to others, because I was selfish if I devoted some time to my health. I felt guilty about taking time.
8) I was horrified when I ran into people from my past because I had changed so much.
9) I knew I should be considering the example I was setting for my children. (baked goods do not equal love at home)
At the most I weighed 165 pounds. I wore a size XL shirt and size 9/10 pants.
I do, however, have a small frame and really great metabolism. Keeping this in mind, the end result is not that surprising.
Whenever I had my picture taken, I was sure to stick
one of
my children
in front of my stomach.
I am happy to say that I don't do that anymore.
I even stand alone on occasion.
I work out. I am happier than I have ever been. I don't feel ashamed that I take this time. I am glad I take time for myself, and I would venture to say that my family sees the benefit of a happy, healthy mom.
There are those who are worried that I may be too skinny or losing too much. I assure you, this is not the case. I weigh 134 pounds. I wear a size S shirt ( albeit tight) and size 2 pants. I know this sounds tiny, mom, but I have always had skinny chicken legs and no rear.
I am lucky to have good genes.
I eat a lot of food.
The difference is that the food is mostly healthy.
I have never, in my entire life, been on a diet. I do not believe in diets.
I have never ever exercised regularly in conjunction with healthy eating until now.
So, it stands to reason that the first go at good habits would have drastic results, don't you think?
I am documenting this
so that I don't forget what if feels like to be healthy.
Several people have approached me and asked what my secret is. I am flattered.
There is no secret.
I try to eat healthy food and sleep enough and exercise everyday. I consider the calorie content before I eat it. I don't do this all the time, but more often than not, I do. Anyone can do it.
Your health is more important than you think.
Today, I look like this. Nothing special. Not perfect. Just healthier.
Stop worrying. I don't want to get any smaller.
I want to look like a woman, not an eight year old boy.
I'm not crazy.
I am however, still the proud mom of four awesome boys who happen to be learning that health should be a priority.
13 comments:
go you. in a world full of women with weight issues, it's nice to just be a healthy you, no matter what that is. here's hoping no one nags you to death when you lose or gain a pound trying to do what's best for yourself. not that it helps when you aren't trying to do what's best for yourself. i guess i have too many opinions on the matter to stuff them all into a comment...not sure what to do with them all. sometimes i think my head will explode. good job, though. stand your ground and just be you.
you look fabulous!! congrats!
is it too profane for me to say HELL YEAH on your blog?
this was so well-written. you hit it right on the head.
i'm linking over to you tonight, because i want everyone to read it.
plus, i want to publicly confess that i've been checking you out in your hot black dress, and you are nothing short of smokin.
lastly, i want to make an inappropriate comment about dave getting lucky, because we all know once the body is back, so is the mojo.
suh-WEET!
So many good lessons here. Well done.
Amen sista - and that's all I have to say.
oh- p.s. I do covet your calves. He He.
Christine you are so awesome. I am in the same situation you were in. Hopefully I can motivate myself enough to have an outcome like you. Thanks for you post.
From Khandrea. Awesome and inspiring. Way to go and well said!
Andrea sent me.
You are totally inspiring. Now I need to get the oreos out of my house...
and get that gym pass.
You look amazing! It was like back in college but even better! I love working out too and you have inspired me to not feel so guilty about it. Seriously, what is wrong with a hot wife, mom and a happy mom! You look great and I love how you told how hard it is. Because it is. Genes play a part but I have noticed as I get older it is important to eat well and exercise. Dave is lucky and getting lucky! You better watch out or you might have another little prestwich boy!
I'm from Andrea too, not to worry she doesn't know me either... Hmmm that doesn't sound very good. Long story but I'm not some crazy person. Just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed your post, thanks.
Bryan Davies in Providence Utah
You look so amazing and I am so proud of you. Honestly, I have always seen you as a gorgeous and super funny woman. I was shocked when I saw the before and after. I have noticed lately that you've been looking great, but I didn't notice that you have made such progress.
It was also nice to read another woman articulate all the feelings I have ever felt about my weight.
So happy for you and I have to agree with Andrea. Dave's a lucky guy!
Your smile from the before pic is definitely needed on the current pic too (especially since it deserves a HUGE smile)! Congrats on feeling fabulous!
how inspiring!! You look amazing.. I am so happy for you!
I LOVE YOUR BLOG
Post a Comment