Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I'm a dog chasing her tail...

I'm trying to learn a little bit about how my children's minds work. I am totally enthralled by my latest child rearing read. So far, I got this.

Apparently today's children are more emotionally aware than they were years and years back when our parents were kids. From what I gather, this is the reason children like Isaac do not respond to punishments and threats. He and others like him realize what unfairness is as well as manipulation. Not only do they recognize it, they utilize it. This is why Isaac will not behave in his class. Just a little FYI, bus driver, sunday school teacher, fifth grade teacher...and whoever else tries to get this kid to obey through means of threats. Oh yeah, you too, mom. ( for the record, he isn't THAT bad)

So, when my brain is saying " You had better behave, or else..."
his brain is saying " if I respond appropriately to this threat, I will then be forced to continue bending to another's will. This will not serve my needs. I will manipulate this person to bend to my own will by disregarding their authority, thereby teaching the threatener that I am in control of this situation".


Or something like that...I think. I'm considering letting this kid raise me. THEN we'll see if he can then turn around and show me how to do it. Let's hear it for smarty pants'.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Oy. Figure that one out, and then tell me the secret to success before I get to that point with my kids. There's a good sister!